Every now and then, you see your dog scratch his ears excessively. You checked your dog’s ears and you noticed some dirt buildup, a foul smell and a bit of redness. What could have possibly gone wrong?
For some dog owners, the signs mentioned may not be much of big deal. Perhaps, a type of irritation that will go and heal over time. However, these are some signs of a possible ear infection and if any treatment is not given immediately, it may cause more serious problems in the long run.
Then so, one of the preventive measures to take is giving your dog a complete proper hygiene; clean his ears with a dog ear cleaner. But how can you choose the best dog ear cleaner for your furry friend? How can you clean your dog’s ears the right way.
Do Your Really Need To Clean Your Dog’s Ears?
Some think it is not really necessary to take ear-cleaning as part of their dog’s regular hygiene. Some dog owners have given the least attention to such matter. But you should always keep in mind that cleaning your dog’s ears should not be disregarded but rather be considered all the time.It might not matter for some but it can actually bring a positive impact on his health. What other vital facts should you know about cleaning your dog’s ears?
- Your dog’s ears are sensitive and are prone to irritation, dirt or wax buildup, parasites, allergies and other infections.
- Due to possible complications, your dog’s ears need regular and proper cleaning.
- Cleaning your dog’s ears properly is very important. If you do it wrong, it can be painful and might cause harm to your dog.
- Maintaining your dog’s ears clean can prevent any infection or irritation.
On the other hand, your dog’s ears don’t need to be cleaned every single time, like every minute. Too much won’t do any good. The cleaning schedule depends on how often your dog engages into certain activities, particularly outdoor, such as swimming, running and walking.
Dogs are very prone to dirt when their outdoors. So after a walk in the park or a quick run outside for a playtime, you can check his ears if it needs cleaning.
Clean Your Dog’s Ears The Right Way
The proper procedure of cleaning your dog’s ears should always be taken note of. As what was mentioned, if you do it the wrong way, it can cause a serious damage.
You don’t want to hurt your furry pal, would you? So take a look at these reminders.
- 1. Use Cotton Pads: Just make sure they are 100% cotton and kept in a clean and proper storage.
- 2. Wear Gloves: Your hands are always busy working on everything so germs can possibly get into it. So when you’re cleaning your dog’s ears, it is much better if you wear gloves to prevent the germs from getting into your dog’s ears. Wearing gloves will also protect you from the messy cleaning process.
- 3. Use An Ear Cleaner: An ear cleaner plays a vital role in the process so you should know which product to use. The certain product can be recommended by your vet.
- 4. Gently Fill The Ear With An Ear Cleaner: You should do it slowly and gently. You don’t want to stress your dog out and feel uncomfortable.
- 5. Spread The Solution All Throughout The Ear Canal: As you spread the fluid, gently massage it all over the ear canal to make sure every part is carefully cleaned.
- 6. Clean And Dry The Ears: After you cleaned the ear canal with the solution, clean it up using a cotton pad and let the ears dry.
Most dogs do not like their ears being cleaned so you have to be very patient. You know your dog’s behavior so try to get the most comfortable position, what makes him calm and relaxed, and talk to him all throughout the process if that makes him feel better.
If you’re still wondering how the cleaning process should be done, you can refer to the video below:
How To Choose A Dog Ear Cleaner
Choosing a dog ear cleaner requires a careful research. You cannot just choose anything that looks good for your dog and buy it. Remember, a wrong choice can cause discomfort, pain and serious damage to your dog’s ears. Here are some factors you can consider.
1. Check The Content
Go over the solution’s content or what it is made of. Although these ear cleaners are made to protect your dog’s ears, some ear cleaners are only up on the market for selling and not for the prime purpose of providing relief to dogs.
The best ones do not contain preservatives, drying agents such as alcohol, menthol and chlorothymol, synthetic fragrances, and artificial colors. These substances won’t provide relief but instead, might harm your dog’s ears.
2. Know Where It Is Specialized For
Most ear cleaners are all-in-one solution; it can be used to treat more than one disease or infection. Some, on the other hand, are created to focus and treat only a particular infection.
If your dog has acquired a certain type of infection, you should know which solution works best for your dog. Hence, it is vital to check what the ear cleaner solution is specialized for.
3. Check The Price
These ear cleaners come in different price tags. It can vary according to how the solution is mainly used for - if it is an all-in-one cleaner, an ear cleaner for regular use or a treatment specialized for certain infections.
So if you only have limited budget, you may want to check first the prices of the products you’re planning to buy or you think would work perfectly for your dog.
4. Seek For Your Vet’s Advice
Although these products can be available over the counter, it is always best to seek for your vet’s advice first. You might need a prescription before purchasing an ear cleaner.
5 Of The Best Dog Ear Cleaner On The Market
1. Zymox Otic Pet Ear Cleaner
VIEW THIS PRODUCT ON AMAZON
If your furbaby experiences acute and chronic otitis externa which is commonly caused by bacteria, fungal and yeast infections, Zymox might be the choice for your dog. It is an ear cleaner and treatment in one.
The Zymox ear cleaner is antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral which makes it more effective to treat even severe cases of ear infections. These three enzymes effectively destroy antibiotic-resistant microorganisms. Added with the Hydrocortisone, it provides relief from itching and inflammation.
Aside from otitis externa on dogs, Zymox has also been proven to be a preventive treatment against further ear infections on dogs such as Staphylococcus aureus, Malassezia pachydermatitis, Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus, Candida albicans, Proteus mirabilis, Eschericha coli, Streptococcus intermedius, Pseudomonas and Streptococcus pyogenes.
- All-in-one solution; can act as an ear cleaner and a treatment
- Can treat various ear infections especially chronic otitis externa
- Has Hydrocortisone that provides relief for itch and inflammation
- #1 best-seller on the market
- Issues regarding effectivity; didn’t work on some dogs
2. Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleaner
VIEW THIS PRODUCT ON AMAZON
Virbac Epi-Optic Advanced ear cleaner is recommended by most vets due to its effectivity to clean and deodorize dog ears. It can be used on a daily basis particularly in your dog’s hygiene routine. It cleanses the ear canal and leaves it healthy and free from foul odor.
The Virbac Optic do not contain harmful chemicals that might not be safe for dogs. It is a mild alcohol-free cleansing and drying solution which can also be used as maintenance for otitis externa. It has no chlorhexidline or alcohol and guaranteed safe for dogs.
Unlike the regular version, this advanced version includes 0.2% salicylic acid that has anti-adhesive properties to help fight off bacteria from getting into the skin. It is also non-irritating.
On the other hand, take note that this isn’t used for medication or treatment for severe ear infections in dogs. It is a dog ear cleaner that can be used regularly to keep your dog’s ears clean and healthy. Other vets, however, recommend using this ear cleaner before applying any medication or treatment for your dog’s ears.
- Advanced version; has anti-adhesive properties to help fight off bacteria
- Can be used on a daily basis; keeps your dog’s ears clean and healthy
- Alcohol-free, has no chlorhexidline
- Cleans and deodorizes the ears
- Only used as an ear cleaner; Cannot be used as a treatment for severe ear infections
- Issues regarding the effectivity; didn’t work well on some dogs
3. Gold Medal Groomers Ear Powder
VIEW THIS PRODUCT ON AMAZON
The Gold Medal Groomers Ear Powder cleaner is not like any other ear cleaner in our list. Since it is powder, it dries wet ears very easily but provides relief for irritated and itchy ears at the same time.
The Gold Medal powder cleaner contains iodoform that eliminates foul odors. It also helps inhibit bacterial growth to keep the dog’s ears healthy and infection-free. This can also be used to grip hair for easy removal. Keeps your dog’s ears clean and hair-free!
- Powder cleaner; dries wet ears very easily
- Eliminates foul odor
- Can be used to grip hair for easy removal
- Affordable price
- Helps inhibit bacterial growth
- Might cause dirt buildup
4. EcoEars Dog Ear Infection Formula
VIEW THIS PRODUCT ON AMAZON
EcoEars Dog Ear Infection formula is also an ear cleaner and treatment in one. Due to its natural ingredients, it can help restore your dog’s ears back to its healthy condition. It has no pharmaceuticals, synthetic chemicals, steroids or antibiotics.
The EcoEars cleaner can also be your aid to keep your dog’s ears healthy and infection-free. It can also clean up dirt and wax buildup. To maintain your dog’s ears healthy condition, you can include this to your weekly grooming routine and after water activities such as swimming.
- Has no pharmaceuticals, synthetic chemicals, steroids and antibiotics
- Ear cleaner and treatment in one
- Contains natural ingredients; guaranteed safe for dogs
- Cleans up dirt and wax buildup
- Can help prevent your dog from getting ear infections
- Not advisable for sensitive ears
- Issues regarding irritations and pain on some dogs
5. Pet MD - Dog Ear Cleaner Wipes
VIEW THIS PRODUCT ON AMAZON
If you prefer easy cleaning without any hassle or the need to dry your dogs ears, the Pet MD dog ear cleaner wipes might do the job for you. It contains aloe vera and eucalyptus that can clean and deodorize your dog’s ears.
Since it is an ear cleaner wipes, it is very easy to use. It gently cleans and dries your dog’s ears. It doesn’t contain alcohol which is a harmful substance. It is soothing and non-irritating.
The Pet MD ear cleaner wipes can be used regularly to keep your dog’s ears clean, healthy and free from infection.
- Very easy to use
- Does not contain alcohol
- Gently cleans and dries your dog’s ears
- Can be used regularly
- Contains Aloe Vera and eucalyptus
- The pads are too small and thin
- Cannot thoroughly clean inside the ear canal, only the outside canals
Your dog deserves the proper care he needs and proper hygiene care means the best product to use. When it comes to cleaning your dog’s ears, you’ll need the most effective dog ear cleaner to keep his ears clean and healthy all the time.
We’re actually caught up between Zymox Otic Pet Ear Cleaner and Virbac Epi-Optic Advanced Cleaner which both showcases natural properties for effectively keeping the dog’s ears clean and healthy.
However, Zymox is an all-in-one solution, both a cleaner and a treatment, which can be very useful for preventing ear infections. But since it is also made as a treatment, it may not be applicable for other dogs who do not acquire any types of infections and thus, certain substances might be too much. Nevertheless, it is commendable and guaranteed safe for dogs.
On the other hand, Virbac has been recommended for many vets as a cleaning solution for regular use. It is pretty impressive with its ability to clean and deodorize thus keep the ears healthy and free from infection.
Therefore, since dogs need their ears to be cleaned regularly, the Virbac Epi-Optic Advanced Cleaner takes the top spot in our list! Zymox would also be a good choice but might need further assistance from a vet due to its treatment properties.
We hope our list of the best dog ear cleaner would help come up with the best choice for your dog. If you have any questions, let us know through the comment box below!