Should You Worry If Your Dog Ate Aluminum Foil?
You know dogs are just being dogs when they nibble toys and stuff or even chew the half of your sofa. It is quite annoying but totally forgivable! But when your four-legged friend finds its way to the kitchen and picked out not the treat but the aluminum foil wrapped around it, you would definitely panic!
You struggled and tried to take that piece of aluminum foil out of its mouth, but it was all too late. He swallowed it! I know it could be something quite alarming so you googled and looked up for the most effective remedies. And if you are reading this right now, you probably haven’t found the best solution yet and you’re just so worried what could possibly happen to your dog.
You must be very anxious and it is very normal. As a furparent, you want to keep your furry babies safe all the time. So if your dog ate aluminum foil, what can you do? What are the important facts that you should know about it?
4 Things You Must Know If Your Dog Ate Aluminum Foil
1. Eating Aluminum Foil Is Not Really Fatal.
According to an expert, dogs who ate aluminum foil won’t cause fatality and most dogs just let it pass and eventually be just fine. These dogs get away with it with no severe effects.
2. Your Dog’s Size And The Amount Of Aluminum Foil Eaten Are Vital Factors.
The size of your dog and how much aluminum foil your dog ate are major factors to think about. It does not guarantee that your dog can also get away with it just like the others. If you own a big dog, the foil could just go through the digestive tract without any problems.
However, it can still depend on how much foil he has eaten or how he ate it; if he swallowed the whole thing up of chewed it into small fragments.
On the other hand, complications might occur if you own a smaller dog breed or if your dog consumes a large amount of aluminum foil. It can cause blockage through the digestive tract and can affect your dog’s digestion which can be visible through a change in his behavior or activity.
3. The Type Of Food That Is Wrapped By The Foil Is What Usually Causes The Trouble.
It is indeed alarming when your dog chewed and swallowed up aluminum foil but the food inside it usually causes the problems. Chocolate, for example. It is very toxic to dogs so if you know that this has been wrapped inside the foil, better take your dog to the vet and have him checked.
4. The Aluminum Foil Itself Is Not Really Toxic.
As what a veterinary expert further explains, aluminum itself is non-toxic. But if it is left exposed to harmful substances or food that aren’t advisable for dogs, it can be dangerous and poisonous to your furry pal.
What You Can Do
If this kind of incident happens to your dog, there is something you can do about it. Proceed to the following steps to ensure your dog’s safety.
Monitor Your Dog’s Behavior And Check For The Symptoms.
Once your dog had taken in some aluminum foil, the next you have to do is monitor his behavior and check for some signs. You know there could be something wrong and an evident sign of abdominal pain if your dog strains to defecate. You should also take note of further signs such as vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling or loss of appetite.
If your dog is still not in his own self, looks weak and lethargic, you should call your vet and ask for his assistance.
Try Feeding Your Dog With A Canned Pumpkin.
Pumpkins are known to soothe digestive disruptions such as diarrhea and constipation. It is high in fiber, Vitamin A and beta-carotene and hence, can help your dog in this kind of situation.
However, if you’re planning to give your dog some of it, do not feed him with a raw pumpkin, the sugary or the pie filling. Opt for the canned pumpkin such as the Farmers Market Organic Pumpkin which is the best-seller on the market.
But take note, Vitamin A, which the pumpkin has, is good for dogs but too much vitamin A would be toxic. For puppies, you can give a few teaspoons or a couple of tablespoons for your big dog or two tablespoons for an average-sized dog. It would be enough to soothe his stomach for better digestion.
Consult Your Vet For Professional Help And Advice.
You can try the first two steps but it is always best to seek help from your veterinarian. If you are still in doubt and sick worried or you have seen some signs such as vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, excessive drooling or anything that makes your dog a little less of his own self, visit your vet and consult him for professional help.
Keep Your Dog Safe!
It is best to take some precautions to prevent such incidents like this and not let it from happening again. Truly, dogs are always curious about everything and all the objects that are not even familiar to them for the first time. They do love to pick out and munch these objects to bits and even swallow them without you knowing it.
Dogs do not know which object or food they could take in that won’t give them any trouble. So, it is you, as his owner and furparent, who knows which could be poisonous or dangerous for him. That’s why you should take away all the objects that are within his reach that he could possibly eat and chew.
If your dog does chew a lot and almost everything he sees, it can be a lifetime problem. However, you can comply with this matter and redirect his chewing habit onto something else. You can give your dog a chew toy or take him out for an exercise!
So, should you worry if your dog ate aluminum foil? It is normal if you do, besides it is not just your dog but a family member. However, it is not really necessary to panic and be sick worried. The facts mentioned above are some of the things you can take note of whenever such incident happens to your dog.
The results may still vary depending on your dog’s size and the amount of aluminum foil eaten. Then again, it is always best to consult your vet to know what other precautions you should do and what medication you can give to your dog.
If you have any questions or suggestions about this article, leave it in the comments section. Don’t be forget to share this article with your friends and family if you’ve found it useful.